Monday, June 27, 2016

My cover arrives, with a book attached

My copy of Love and Fear, by Reed Farrel Coleman, arrived today, its cover a photo I shot a block from where I work.

I'll be interested in what's under that cover, too, both because Coleman is good at writing emotionally wounded P.I.s, and because the book is part of Orca Books' Rapid Reads line. The series consists of short novels for adults, inspired, Orca says, by the success of its previous books for younger, reluctant readers.

Allan Guthrie's 2007 novella Kill Clock persuaded me that such books can coincide nicely with my own fondness for concise narration in the Hammettian style. So I'll read this book with special interest, though probably more slowly than some readers, because I'll be busy sneaking peeks at the cover.
==============

The first link in this post will take you to the spring 2016 Rapid Reads releases. I also shot the cover for a second book in the series, Linda L. Richards' When Blood Lies.



© Peter Rozovsky 2016

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Linda L. Richards said...

Once again, I am in good company.

June 27, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And you'll get top billing when your book arrives.

June 27, 2016  
Blogger Rick Ollerman said...

Congratulations on another one....

June 28, 2016  
Blogger seana graham said...

They look great. I like the series concept too.

June 28, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, Rick. I took another photo last night that would make a fine book cover, I think, provided it could be adapted from its somewhat horizontal orientation.

June 28, 2016  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Seana, the Allan Guthrie novella that I mention in this post is part of a similar series. Such series are interesting responses to the problem of a declining interest in reading. They make an interesting experience even for we non-reluctant readers, as well.

In one or two spots (but no more than that) Love and Fear shows signs of straining for simplicity. For the most part, though, the stripped-down style focuses attention on characters and on the very specific devices Coleman uses to keep the story going. It can function as something of a textbook for people figuring out how to write a crime story.

June 28, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home