Sunday, April 17, 2011

Prière de ne pas deranger — Je lis un roman à enigme

(Nephew Beyond Borders #1 (left); Brother Beyond Borders)

In Quebec, as in Ireland, the Roman Catholic Church held great sway for many years. In Ireland, the reaction has included crime novels such as The Magdalen Martyrs and movies like The Magdalene Sisters. In Quebec, it includes an "Intimacy Kit" next to the Pringles and mineral water in my hotel room.

Practical, but not something I think one would have seen in the 1950s.
***
This post's title means "Do Not Disturb — I am Reading a Mystery Novel," and it comes from the sign that guests can hang on their doors so they can use their intimacy kits in peace. This hotel knows its guests.
***
"I had to pull myself up to escape your smoking wreckage of parenting."

Nephew Beyond Borders #1, over dinner to his mother

(Nephew Beyond Borders #2, Sister-in-Law Beyond Borders)
***
© Peter Rozovsky 2011

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

Oh, I don't know, she looks like a pretty good parent to me. Also the least camera shy member of the family. But that was a pretty good crack on his part.

That's a great hotel sign.

April 17, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this rocks by nephew number 1

April 17, 2011  
Anonymous kathy d. said...

I can see future writer in Nephew #1, and/or comedian.

April 17, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Seana, that is not the first time I've quoted him here; this is.

To be fair, the same "Do Not Disturb" notice includes a number of other activities, several of which also apply to me. But "I am reading a mystery novel" is listed first.

April 17, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Anonymous, can I really believe you are who you say you are?

April 17, 2011  
Blogger seana graham said...

Peter, as with so much of the blogosphere, I think you will just have to take anonymous's identity as a given.

Of course, if he wants you to send him money, it's another matter entirely...

v word=twardit. As in, "We can not always know the truth, but we can move twardit."

April 17, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Kathy, the future of both nephews is a subject of much speculation. Quite naturally we all predict bright futures for them.

I say one will end up ruling the world, and the other will end up defending him in court.

April 17, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Seana, immediately before his comment here, NBB #1 had posted under his own name, then deleted it. The effort to conceal his identity was so adorable!

April 17, 2011  
Blogger seana graham said...

Yeah, it's funny because when you subscribe, you actually get to read the deleted comments as well, so all attempts to hide his identity were futile.

Perhaps his brother ought to start studying law now.

April 17, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

We say that young #2 will win his cases when judges grow exasperated with the persistence of his oratory and rule in his favor just so they can go home for a rest.

April 17, 2011  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Chag Pesach Sameach

April 17, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Go raibh maith agat, agus Cáisc shona dhuit.

April 17, 2011  
Blogger Matt Beynon Rees said...

...and what became of the intimacy kit?

April 18, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

It remains sadly unused by me.

I love the endearling euphemism of "intimacy kit." But I was remiss in not noting how the term is rendered in French. I'll do so now.

"Trousse personelle -- intimité."

April 18, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home