Tuesday, May 05, 2009

More awarders recognize crime beyond borders

With a hat tip to Crime Always Pays comes news of the Macavity Award nominations. CAP is excited that his fellow Irish crime author Declan Hughes is up for a best-mystery-novel Macavity. This follows on his short-listing for the best-novel Edgar Award.

I'm pleased that 3½ of the seven best-novel nominees are from beyond U.S. borders: Hughes' The Price of Blood (called The Dying Breed in the U.K.); The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (Iceland); and The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny (Canada). The half is for Trigger City by Sean Chercover, who has divided his time between Toronto and Chicago and who blended in beautifully with the natives at the recent Noir at the Bar: TO Style in Toronto. This follows a short list for the best-novel Edgar that was 50 percent non-American authors.

Visit Mystery Readers International for a complete list of nominees for the Macavitys, which are to presented at Boucheron 2009 in October.

In other award news, Bob "I'm not Roger" Cornwell of Crimetime sends notice of nominations for the Glass Key prize, the top crime-fiction award in the Nordic countries. Crimetime announces the nominations here in a wrap-up that spins off into a look at other Nordic awards plus all kinds of neat stuff about the several languages involved as well as links to more sites on Nordic crime prizes and organizations. The article deserves an award of its own.

Read (in English) about the Glass Key nominees here, on a blog operated by the Skandinaviska Kriminalsällskapet, which awards the prize.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger marco said...

I thought the post was about your victory in the Spinetingler Awards.
No news? Contested ballot?

V-word: Feste (Italian for celebrations, or English for a Shakespearean fool?)

May 05, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm beginning to feel a bit like Al Franken in Minnesota (not that I have the entitlement that he appears to have). The awards were supposed to have been announced last week, but I can find no sign of any announcement.

Feste ought to make an awards long list at least for best v-word.

May 05, 2009  
Blogger marco said...

Recently I had some good ones.
In order of apparition:
perth friction suction.
A few days ago I got swine, which made me wonder.

v-word: equiy (not quite equity)

May 05, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

If you got swine a few days ago, I'm glad you're on the other side of the ocean from me.

I once had a v-word that gave me fleeting though serious suspicion that the words are not random. I forgot the details, but my comment concerned security issues of some kind, and the v-word was detectiv or something close to it.

May 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home