Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Northern Ireland crime fiction: Shopping and sources

Failte!

I remarked to my host for today's shopping that the vicissitudes of Irish history offered rich source material for Irish crime writers. I don't remember if he actually said, "Aye!" but he certainly agreed vigorously with the sentiment.

To illustrate my point, here's a passage from one of the day's purchases:

"Mick Quinn and Houston represented not only different wings of the IRA but also different eras. Mick struck out blindly at all things English, Houston only killed when it was to his personal advantage. Mick had joined the IRA at a time when people gave to the cause willingly; Houston came in late enough to regard those contributions as an enforceable right."
Fair material there for dramatic conflict, I'd say. The book is Line of Flight, the author John McAllister.

The day's host was that first minister for Crime Fiction Gerard Brennan, keeper of Crime Scene NI, and a better guide to Irish crime fiction and where to shop for it is not to be had. Among our stops was Belfast's No Alibis bookshop, which, to judge from its Web site, offers much besides lots of Irish crime fiction.

And now, since there's more to travel than books, I'm off. Look for me on the Web cam at the Crown Liquor Saloon.

Slainte!

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sucharita Sarkar said...

Have a nice time, shopping and otherwise!

September 02, 2008  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter

You werent wearing a hat were you? I saw one suspicious looking character giving the cam the middle finger, but I know you're far too dignified to do that.

Hope your encounter didnt end like this incident from Carol Reed's Odd Man out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO_dK_nZaPQ&feature=related


A...

September 02, 2008  
Blogger Gerard Brennan said...

I probably said aye.

I'm glad you had a good day. And thanks again for lunch. Did you have an enjoyable night at Fibber Magee's?

gb

September 03, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Only ten books yesterday, at least two more on my list, and room in my luggage for a few more beyond that.

September 03, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Adrian, I think one of the bartenders in that scene was working at the Crown last night.

You probably didn't see me, because I gave it just a quick in and out. The upstairs was closed for a private party, which meant no food available for my hungry self. I shall look in again today or tomorrow though.

I know the place is called the Crown, but those booths reminded me of nothing so much as confessionals.

September 03, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Never made it to Fibber Magee's. It's either on a different street, or it's so reticent as to post no sign of its existence visible from the outside. So tonight will be my night for music.

September 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home